Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My first typewriter

It's been more than 45 years since I got my first typewriter.

I was maybe eight years old, and I received it, I believe, for Christmas one year.

It was made by the Marx toy company, and it was called a 'Marxwriter'--but it was no toy. It was a fully funtional typewriter and I wrote many a story on it.

Well, I guess I should be honest here--I started many a story on it. In those days I had a habit of not finishing any of the projects I began. Honestly, I don't think I knew how.

I stall have some of the pages I wrote on it. Time permitting, I may even share some of them here--they're pretty funny.

Oh, the Marxwriter only typed in caps, but it did have a shift key and all kinds of characters and symbols. Way more than a regular typewriter.

I recall that thing with a great deal of fondness. What a lovely present for my parents to give me! Thanks, Mom and Dad.

When I got to be about thirteen I read somewhere that editors wouldn't take manuscripts typed in caps, so I stopped using it and started borrowing my Dad's.

I recall that now with sorrow. I wish I'd remained faithful to that little machine.  I mean, it's not like I was submitting anything anywhere anyway--in fact, it was right around then that I stopped writing altogether; I didn't take it up again until I was almost thirty.

I wish I still had my Marxwriter. It would be an honored, treasured possession.

Goodbye, little Marxwriter, and thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment