Saturday, July 23, 2011

More on the "Tsunami of Crap"

I saw that piece in the Wall Street Journal earlier this month. The one that got Rusch & Smith so fired up. I found it an enjoyable read, actually.

I pretty much agreed with him all the way down the line. I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

The title was the most irksome aspect, and, as Ms. Rusch speculated, it might have been foisted on him by an editor.

Otherwise I thought it was an affectionate and humorous look at indie publishing.

I'm aware that somebody stumbling on this blog might think I'm delusional. A long-time unpublished writer is about to release some of his old stories that never sold in an e-book with a goofy-looking cover, and he's all excited about it. He seems to be expecting good things to come of it.

Yep. That sums it up.

I'm one of the people traditional publishing has "protected" you from.

I thought the comparison to American Idol was spot on. Do I really need to point out that it's a popular show with lots of fans who have no wish to be "protected" from it?

And some talented folks have gotten a start there. The same thing will happen with Indie writers.

And I might even be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment