Friday, June 24, 2011

A bit of backpedaling

Yesterday's rant against the publishing industry was maybe a little over the top.

It doesn't really do to demonize anyone.  Or any institution, for that matter.  So I hereby apologize for any bad vibes I may have broadcast.

I've socialized with editors at Science Fiction conventions.  They're generally nice people.  I certainly didn't mean to cast any aspersions their way.

That doesn't mean I've changed my opinion!  The editors aren't in control of their companies these days.  The bean counters are.

When I read on her blog about the contract shenanigans they tried with Kristine Kathryn Rusch, I was stunned.  The woman used to be editor of Fantasy and Science Fiction, for crying out loud! If they'll pull that sort of crap with her, I can't help but think they'd chew me up and spit me out without a second thought. Or pretty much any of us.  It's dismaying.

And that business about the e-book royalties? That's just horrible.

But I gather SFWA are looking into the situation. So thank goodness for that much. Maybe sanity will eventually prevail.

But all things considered, I'm glad to be an indie writer right now.

Still, I'm wishing everybody in the business well. Peace and love, people, peace and love.

Just wanted to get all that off my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment